Tuesday, May 07, 2013

What About Those Who Never Hear?

In a couple of recent books, I’ve come across the question, “What happens to people who never hear the Gospel?” I know people who have left Christianity over this question. Jesus is the only way to salvation, but there are millions, and perhaps billions, who haven’t heard about Him. What is God going to do with all those souls in eternity?

First of all, the Bible is clear that the only way to salvation is through Jesus (Acts 4:12). And those of us who are already believers are commanded to spread the Gospel far and wide (Matthew 28:19-20). The responsibility for Christians is clear.

What happens to those who never hear the Gospel is less obvious. I don’t think the scriptures are explicit on this topic.

What do we do? As Christians, we obey God. Sharing our faith is not optional.

As for what happens to those who never hear the Gospel, we have to trust in the justice and mercy of God. I don’t know how God will work things out, but I know that I trust Him to be loving and righteous. There’s a lot about God that I don’t understand and this is one of those things. But, I don’t want to pretend confidence I don’t have.

What do you think about this topic? Any other ideas?

No comments: