Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Our Quest

One of my regular readers (OK, maybe my only one!) emailed me to ask if everything was OK since I hadn't blogged for a couple of weeks. I felt so loved!

Actually, though, my lack of blogging has been because our family went on a quest. "A quest? What kind of quest does one go on in 2008?" you may be wondering. Well, we have been reading the Dragonkeepers series of books (by Donita K. Paul - reviews coming soon) as a family. In addition, we have been listening to Eragon and Eldest. Both of these book series are about characters going on quests. We had a trip planned to see Mr. Math Teacher's and my families down South, so we decided to make a quest out of it.

Ga'Hoole Girl got creative and make Questing Books out of paper and fabric. She had three books and made one for Wild Man. The kids both packed questing bags which included things like binoculars, Questing Books, and mp3 players (don't ask). They were ready to go!

When we got into the van to get going on our trip on Wednesday the 13th, the kids found a letter from someone who had previously done our trip and found some dragon eggs. She included a diary of her trip, but it was in a coded alphabet. The kids had to decode the diary based on the locations that we passed on our trip. We had two days of driving, by which time the kids had completely decoded the diary. This was important because the last page of the diary was at my parent's trailer and it had to be decoded before the kids could find the dragon eggs or dragons. So, they decoded it and walked out on my parent's property to find their dragons! (The eggs had hatched while we were driving, apparently) We got back to the trailer and Ga'Hoole Girl proceeded to explain to my parents the difference between Western (European) and Eastern (generally Chinese) dragons - she has a book on dragons. Too funny!

After the dragons were found, we spent the rest of the trip visiting family. We spent time with my family then went to visit Mr. Math Teacher's grandmother, who is 93 years old!! While we were down South, we also got to have plenty of seafood, including boiled crawfish (despite the fact that it's not really in season yet). Then, we took another drive to visit my brother and his family. The kids had a great time playing. Wild Man is two years older than his cousin, E. They had a blast playing boy things together. Ga'Hoole Girl taught E to play the Zelda game that he has. Ga'Hoole Girl is a Zelda maniac! But, mostly, Ga'Hoole Girl played with her 8 month old cousin, J. It was really fun to see her playing with him. Overall, we had a great time and were really glad to see so much of our family at once.

The one downside was that I had three bad migraines on the trip. We were going to leave on Thursday but decided to leave on Wednesday because a big snowstorm was coming and we didn't want to get caught in it. Of course, I then developed a migraine Tuesday night making packing a real adventure. I had two more migraines on the trip, but I did have the advantage of being with family so I didn't have to worry about cooking or cleaning. Now that we're home, I'm having "withdrawal" headaches. The house is a disaster! But, we are glad to be home. And, I'm sure I'll get around the cleaning eventually. I've got three weeks of blogging to do, so I should have some new stuff up in the next few days.

3 comments:

Gary and Pam said...

It was good to hear your "voice" again. I'm glad your absence was for happy reasons (I'm sorry about your headaches though.) Sounds like an exciting trip to remember for a lifetime. :)

Gary and Pam said...

You had a fair amount of preparation to put together that Quest..... reminds of a certain "archeological dig" way back when!

Catherine said...

Ah yes, the archaeological dig! I will never forget watching the kids trying to learn to be archaeologists and finding all that great stuff. I wonder how it all got into your yard!!