Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Cables and More!

One of my goals for this year was to learn to knit cables. Well, I did it! I learned by making wrist warmers for Ga'Hoole Girl. Then, Wild Man wanted a pair, so I found a masculine pattern to make a set for him. They turned out great! Wild Man's wrist warmers were started with blue yarn, but I had to finish the last little bit with some variegated yarn since these are some of my projects to use up leftover yarn. It's also nice to try to use up old yarn because the projects are small and only take a few days each!



I also tried my hand at "entrelac", a knitting technique that has sections of knitting running at different angles. My sister-in-law was doing some of it a few years ago and it was just gorgeous. I found a fun pattern for a hat/wide headband on knitty.com so I tried it out. It was wonderfully fun and downright addictive. The technique really isn't all that hard. The difficult part is figuring out where to do which type of stitch. Otherwise, it's just knit, purl, increase, decrease, and pick up stitches.












My next project is a vest for Mr. Math Teacher. I'm using a cotton blend yarn so it will be cool. If it works out, then Wild Man wants one. Ga'Hoole Girl loves the entrelac piece, so I'll be looking for some yarn to make her one.

No comments: