Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Last night was the first time we got to hear Wild Man’s high school choir perform. He actually joined the choir when his arm was broken and he couldn’t do much in band, so he’s only been in the group for about six weeks. The choir performed in The Fox Cities Choral Music Festival at the PAC in Appleton along with choirs from Hortonville and Kimberly.

We were a little concerned when the first two choirs performed with the guys in tuxes and the girls in matching dresses because we knew that the kids from Wega had their robes with them, but didn’t have matching dress clothes. And we were just hoping that no one had sneakers on. (Weyauwega is a rural community of farming and industrial families – not exactly suburbia here.) They wore their robes for the whole performance, individual choir performance and combined choir performance. And no sneakers to be seen.

001003

Most importantly, Wega-Fremont did a great job musically. And the combined choirs were wonderful. During the combined choir performance, Wild Man and another of Wega-Fremont’s young men pulled out some hand drums and played them during the African song. Needless to say, PWM and I were quite proud.

Today has been one of those kind of blah days. I woke up with a headache that made me uninterested in doing anything useful. And, I got up late, so I missed the Wednesday morning knitting at the shop. But, I had finished reading Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-Weber (a great book, by the way) and A Storm of Swords was waiting for me at the library, so I decided to risk a nice, slow stroll to the library. Books are always worth getting out for.

Wild Man is keeping up with the schoolwork I’ve assigned him, but I’ve made it a light week because he had extra choir rehearsals on Monday and Tuesday. He also spends from 4pm till evening on Wednesdays at church for youth group. So, tomorrow and Friday, he is going to have to do some extra work on Biology and Spanish. Unfortunately, those are subjects that require my direct input. I need to not have a bad headache tomorrow. Really.

I’m watching the World Series right now since PWM is out picking up Wild Man from church. I’m noticing that there is a lot of facial hair on these two teams. I don’t think these guys have shaved in the post-season. Their faces. There are some very bald scalps. They’re starting to look like the guys from Duck Dynasty.

And what’s the deal with singing “God Bless America” during the 7th Inning Stretch? I’m not opposed to singing that song at anytime, I guess, but it appears to be a new tradition and I missed the start of it.

No comments: