Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Roller Coaster Ride

 

I don’t like roller coaster rides. Unfortunately, my headaches make my life a roller coaster. On a good few days, I feel like things are going up. Then a migraine starts, and things start crashing down really fast. And I stay at the bottom for a while. And the cycle starts over.

Understanding the cycle is helping me prepare for it. When the migraines come, I know that I’m headed into a trough and I lower my expectations for what I’m going to get done. When I feel myself headed up, I’ll try to get more checked off my to-do list.

I may not like roller coaster rides, but I think this analogy may help me cope with the ups and downs of chronic headaches. If you deal with chronic illness, what coping mechanisms work for you?

 

 

No comments: