Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Observations

We watched the Olympic opening ceremony and a bunch of Olympic stuff yesterday. Here are some of the things I've been thinking.

1. Mr. Math Tutor wants to know when a swimmer who is asked what it takes to beat Michael Phelps will just say, "Swim faster than him."

2. What's with the half-naked women playing beach volleyball. It's apparently not necessary for the sport since the guys wear clothes. Mr. Math Tutor thinks it's a sponsorship thing.

3. A woman my age can swim 100 meters in less than a minute?! That's just scary!!

4. I'm so glad I live someplace where I can see across the road clearly.

5. The lighting ceremony was way cool!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really don't know, I'm just guessing with this---but I think the reason why half-naked women are playing volleyball on the beach is for the benefit of men. Some of it may have to do with them needing the least amount of clothing due to the hot nature of the beach, but I don't see why they can't just wear one-piece swimsuits and cover up. Let's face it---men like watching scantily clad women playing any sport. We live in a time where women are not supposed to be used as "sex objects" but everything in our culture says otherwise. In my opinion, this is another example of our culture giving in to the desires of the evil one. Sex is so prevalent in TV, ads, music, computer games that it's hard to get away from it. Marketers know that sex sells so they use it when they can. And I think Patrick is right in that sponsorship is probably the big motivator behind why these women wear what they do, and if so, it's sickening. They have to know that men are the main ones watching this sport (and maybe some women volleyball players).