Monday, July 23, 2007

Knitting update

One of the fun things about camp is that I have lots of free time in which to read and knit. During May and June I made a cute sweater and pair of pants for my brand-new nephew. I also made a fun little bath mitt for his big brother. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures, so I can't post pictures until my Dad sends me some. The sweater pattern is from LionBrand and is a striped hoodie. It was so adorable. The pants pattern was from Knitty.com. This was a little more tricky. I made the first leg and then put it on a yarn stitch holder. Then, I made the second leg. I was supposed to then put all these stitches on a circular needle with some additional cast-on stitches between the two legs. Well, doing this on a circular needle just didn't work. It was a good way up the hips before I was knitting anything resembling a circle or oval - it was more of a figure of eight shape. So, I put the work on five double point needles which made much more sense. In any case, they were really cute. The bath mitt pattern was also from LionBrand. I used cotton worsted weight yarn. I was very happy with the outcome. I still have left-over yarn, so I'm looking for more things to make.

I am currently working on lace socks from a pattern I got over at Writing and Living. I made one pair socks on needles that were far too big for the pattern. I wanted to use them as slippers, but they were even to big for that. And, the socks were each of a different color because I didn't have enough to do both socks (I was using leftover purple and teal yarn from a sweater that I made for a friend). So, I ripped out the socks and have started over with the correct size needles. And, I'm making the toe, heel, and top in teal with the foot and lower leg in purple. So far, so good.

One of the coolest projects I'm working on now is making throw rugs. I really need one under the piano bench because the hardwood is getting scratched up (and I don't really want to sacrifice a towel as a rug). So, I'm cutting old t-shirts and other clothing into strips and knitting it with size 17 needles. Working with such big needles is something of a challenge, but I like it. My plan is that I don't have a plan. I started in navy for 6 rows, then did 2 rows of a patterned fabric, then 2 rows of navy, then I'll add in the other stuff in increments of 2, 4, or 6 rows as the Spirit moves me! I really like the effect of the knitting.

I'm able to do a good bit of knitting these last few days because I knit while Mr. Math Teacher reads Harry Potter to us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We LOVE the bath mitt, and sweater/pants outfit you knitted! Absolutely adorable!!!! We'll get pictures to you so you can post them!