Sunday, July 01, 2007

The cat and the string incident

So, Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Math Teacher was at the coffee shop with a friend, who is a vet. The kids and I sat on the sofa and were playing with Sophie, one of the cats, with a piece of yarn. Now, I have all my knitting stuff out in the living room and none of the cats has ever played with any of it, eaten it, or otherwise done anything with the yarn. So, I didn't worry about playing with a piece of yarn with the cat. She played for a while, then jumped off the sofa. A minute or so later, I looked at her and saw that she had the last inch of yarn sticking out of her mouth (it was about 12 inches long). I chased her, but by the time that I got to her, she had swallowed the yarn - EEK! The good news is that it was cotton yarn, so I wasn't worried about her getting something non-organic in her system.

I called Mr. Math Teacher, who asked his vet friend what we should do. He recommended that we give the cat some hydrogen peroxide to make her gag. So, with Ga'Hoole Girl sitting on the sofa in great distress, I took the cat in the bathroom and tried to get some peroxide down her - with very little luck. Mr. Math Teacher and his vet friend came home and the vet got some peroxide down the cat's throat. Despite this, the cat refused to gag or vomit!! The vet gave her several doses without any luck. Two days later, while changing the cat boxes, Mr. Math Teacher found documentation that the string has passed. Thanfully.

The rest of life has not been nearly that exciting. The bathroom is now painted seafoam green. Wild Man doesn't like it. I think it looks really nice with the grey tub, sink, and toilet. Ga'Hoole Girl got 1/4th of one wall painted last weekend. We'll get her room painted next, and then the stairwell and hallway.

Wild Man has been asking for his own baseball helmet for awhile now. So, he bought one yesterday with his own money (along with some baseball gloves). Mr. Math Teacher and I sprung for a new bat (his old one was way too small). Anyway, the boy loves the new helmet. He wore it all around the house yesterday, and I found it in his bed with him last night! What a silly boy!

Fireworks are tonight. The fairgrounds are just two blocks from here, so we are going to walk over. We can see the high ones from the house, but it's not much of a walk to get to see all of them.

No comments: