Well, I started it on Friday. I hope it still counts – LOL!
1. What a headache week!! I don’t want to repeat this too terribly often. I’m feeling OK right now, but I’ve got insomnia because of the late nap that I took. Grrrrr.
2. The weather is finally warming up!! PWM and I walked today to get ice cream and then to the library. Unfortunately, I only thought I had two books at the library, so we didn’t bring a bag. The library was gracious enough to give us a plastic grocery bag, but it still would have been easier on PWM’s hands and back if we’d had the canvas bags.
3. In a week and a half, I’m starting to teach knitting at a local elementary school after school. I’m very excited, but also worried. You see, large groups of children scare me. The good news is that we’ll have several adults working with us, so it won’t be just me and 30 kids (I don’t even know how many kids are likely to come!).
4. Several of the library books are to help kids learn to knit. I have, though, three books and each one teaches a different way to cast-on. I’m going to start by giving the kids the needle with the first row cast on. Once they can knit, I’ll teach the cast-on. I’m pretty sure I’m going to teach the long-tail cast-on. It’s not my favorite to use, but it’s very versatile. Knitting on is really easy, but it’s not terribly elastic. The “thumb method” or “backward loop” method is something I think is only suited for casting on the middle of a row. When you use it as your first row, there ends up being a ton of yarn leftover at the end of the first row.
5. This week is the first meeting of the Fiber Arts Circle. I’m really excited about this. I know that one person wants to learn to knit. I’m hoping some others will be interested to come see what’s up.
6. Wild Man is taller than I am. I’m not ready for this.
7. Rosie Girl takes the ACT in the morning (as a practice run – she’ll take it again as a junior next year). I’m not ready for this, either.
That’s what’s up in our house. What’s going on with you? Check 7 Quick Takes Friday to see what others are doing!