Friday, February 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes Friday – 2/19/2010

7_quick_takes_sm

1. It’s hard to get much schoolwork done with Wild Man with the Olympics on this week.  2-4 pm is prime school time for us, but that’s when they have afternoon coverage.  Our compromise has been to listen to an audiobook while we watch the Olympics with the sound off.

2. Speaking of audiobooks – We listened this week to The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.  This is a wonderful book about a 12 year old boy and his adventures trying to get to his brother who was illegally sold into service in the Union Army during the Civil War.  I really recommend this one on audiobook because of the wonderful narration, although I’m sure it’s also good to read from the book.

3. I had a craving today for chocolate pound cake, so I put one together while everyone else was watching the Olympics.  It’s out of the oven and cooling now.  I can’t wait to cut into it!

4. I finally sent my dad his Christmas present – on February 17.  I sent him a picture of the one sock that I had finished by Christmas and was going to finish the other one to send to him.  However, he and Mom gave me a cool sock knitting book for Christmas, so I started over and made him a pair of socks from a pattern in the book, so I didn’t get them done until now.  He’s OK with it, though.

5. Rosie Girl has been really into writing fan fiction lately and has published a number of stories.  Not only that, but, she’s taking a short story workshop through writeathome.com and is working on a story for that class.  She tries to get done with her schoolwork every day with a couple of hours before bedtime so she can write.

6. Wild Man is reading Old Yeller, so Mr. Math Tutor told the kids about the scene from Stripes where Bill Murray’s character motivates the soldiers to work through the night to pass graduation by talking about Old Yeller.  That character also says that, as Americans, we’re mutts, “our forefathers were kicked out of every decent nation”.  The kids thought it was hysterical.  Of course, Stripes is completely inappropriate for children (OK, for adults, too), but we did watch that one scene on YouTube and got a good laugh!

7. Mr. Math Tutor has started writing a series of books with some people he’s worked with before that will be first be published online.  He’s pretty excited because he got some positive feedback on his first bit of writing today.  Obviously, the titles are going to be math-related.  Is your appetite whetted now?  Don’t worry – I’ll be sure to link to them from here when they are ready!!

Check out 7 Quick Takes Friday to see what others have been up to this week!

1 comment:

pwm said...

Mr. Math Tutor here... Just want to keep things completely accurate. I'm one of several people who has been asked to write for the series and I just might be writing some non-math titles also. And yes I'm very excited about the possibilities.