Friday, April 25, 2008

Happy Habits of a Homeschooler

This is the first time I'm participating in Heart of the Matter's Friday meme. This week's meme is "Happy Habits of a Homeschooler".






Our family does have a few good habits that seem to work well for us.
1. Reading aloud at bedtime. We usually read a Sonlight read-aloud, but we have also read other books because we finish the books pretty quickly.
2. Books on CD. I have Story of the World on CD that we listen to while we're in the car. I also pick up other books that we listen to. The kids are on an "Artemis Fowl" kick right now, but I also come up with other books that we have enjoyed.
3. Quiet reading time. I came up with this to help Wild Man with his reading since Ga'Hoole Girl reads constantly, but I find that we all really enjoy this 20-30 minutes of the day.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

Angela DeRossett said...

I didn't even realize SOTW had a CD! I will have to look for this. Thanks for the great ideas!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I've always meant to--and sporadically have--include that quiet personal reading time! I'm going to have to remember that for next year...
SmallWorld

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Wow, I would love to get SOTW on cd. I'll have to look for it. And yes, a quiet time is definitely important. Mine don't necessarily have to read, but it is more about saving my sanity!

Unknown said...

Yay! Reading! You could not have a better habit!

Anonymous said...

I had previously only has quiet reading at bedtime - - but, I think I may add 15 or 20 monutes to our daily "schedule."
Great ideas!
Thanks for sharing!! : )