Thursday, September 06, 2007

Tap Class

Tuesday night was my first tap dance class. Ga'Hoole Girl has ballet from 5:30-6:30 on Tuesday nights. My class is at 7:00 at the same studio. Normally, I will just take her to her friends' house and they'll ride together - we live 45 minutes from the dance studio. Then, Wild Man and I will come at 7 for my class. But this week, I went to the studio for Ga'Hoole Girl's class, so Wild Man was at the studio for a full 2 1/2 hours.

I, however, had a blast Tuesday night. There are 8 people in the class - lots of folks for a beginning adult tap class. One of the people in the class (not teaching, but taking the class) is the advanced ballet teacher. Now, you have to understand that dancers from the advanced classes in this studio go to major universities as dance majors. This teacher danced professionally in New York. Ga'Hoole Girl took a Ballet 1/2 class from her a few years ago. She is really, really good - at ballet. She is a complete novice to tap - just like me! Actually, I have watched enough dance classes that I knew in my head how a number of the moves went. Of course, I don't have near the control over my body that this dance teacher does.

The class is 45 minutes. That is quite long enough for me. I was really tired after the first day. Of course, it didn't help that it had been 90 degrees earlier in the day and it was quite humid. Our class was downstairs, though, in the basement so the heat wasn't as bad as upstairs. But, it was a workout for me. And, it did make my hip hurt pretty good (where the shingles are). I think I'm going to have lots of fun this semester.

I ordered my tap shoes Tuesday night when I got home. I had been hoping that they would have some at the studio that fit, but they only go up to size 7 1/2. I got an email Wednesday morning that the shoes aren't available and they are on backorder. I called the company and we had to go through several brands of shoes before we found one that they had. In any case, I should have a nice pair of split sole tap shoes on Friday. Then I can practice in the basement!

1 comment:

Staci Eastin said...

Oh, wow. That sounds like fun!