Monday, August 06, 2007

August 6

Well, Ga'Hoole Girl did Piano Odyssey last week at the university. It was a great experience for her. She was sent music for a duet to play at the end of the week. Her days consisted of practicing with her duet partner, Music History and Music Theory classes, private lesson (one during the week) and master classes. The kids also got to swim every day after lunch. She really enjoyed the week. Friday afternoon, they had a performance with all the kids playing their duets. They all did a marvelous job! I truly have never heard my daughter play so well. She is very interested in going back next year.

Knitting news: I am almost finished with my knitted throw rug. It took a lot of T-shirts, though, so I can only make this one rug right now. I still have to weave in ends - using a crochet hook because I don't have any needle type of thing to use. I'll post photos when it's done.

I've been doing lots of reading, but I've had lots of bad headaches the last week or so, so I'll post reviews later in the week.

Other interesting things: Ga'Hoole Girl has been asking questions about college. She's quite young to consider specifics, but I hope that she at least will have some more motivation for schoolwork. She also says that she wants to be a video game developer, so I got her a book on game programming for teens. So far, she has written three or four programs!

Wild Man and I have started doing some TOPS experiments with electricity. So far, we have made some simple circuits. Our next experiment is to learn about conductors and insulators. Otherwise, he's just being "Wild Man"!

I am working on lesson planning the rest of the schoolyear. I use Homeschool Tracker Plus so I can put in lesson plans without committing to dates. The problem right now is that it is taking a long time. I want to add in music and art history, so that takes time to find the websites and resources that I want to use. In any case, it's a good use of my time right now and will, hopefully, make life easier when we start "real school" the end of August.

No comments: