Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Knitting update!

Knitting has been a wonderful pastime for me over the last couple of years. It is one of the few things that I can do when I have a headache. It is also wonderful for making gifts! I try to take pictures of all of my projects to put in a knitting journal that my mother-in-law gave me.



This is a sweater that I knitted for my mom. It was fun to learn to do the stitches that it involved. I learned basket-weave and bobbles. I also had to learn to rip out a section that was done poorly and redo it. The yarn is a basic acrylic that is a little heavier than worsted.


For Christmas presents for a number of young ladies this year, I made watches. I ordered the watch faces online (very reasonable - less than $5 each!) and made watchbands for them. This is a thin band with a small watch face. I also used some really big watch faces with thick watch bands. The yarn was different types of sock yarn. This picture shows a glittery blue yarn. I also made one of pink cotton sock yarn and several of self-striping wool sock yarn. I tried using some thicker yarns, but didn't like the results.


This is one of my favorite projects! A friend gave me a knitting calendar with zillions of patterns. There are several patterns for wrist warmers (gauntlets as my daughter calls them). These have a shell-type pattern knitted into them, which was the first time that I knitted a pattern like this. The yarn is a fun, shimmery blue sock yarn which works great for this.
I'm currently working on a sweater for a friend and a sweater for myself. This summer and fall I need to make sweaters for the kids because the ones I did a few years ago are too small. I also have a guitar strap for my husband on the needles as well as a tie for him. I need to get back to work on the tie now that he is in the classroom regularly learning to teach. I am using 100% cotton sock yarn (self-striping) for the tie. The guitar strap is being done with some heavy duty yarn that is a little thinner than worsted. I'll put up pictures of those when they're done!
I really enjoy that knitting is portable. I am going to be taking kids to dance twice a week this semester, so it will be nice to have something to do with my hands while I watch them dance or chat with other parents. I want to make socks or slippers for the kids with some of my leftover worsted weight wool, and they are very easy projects to take with me.
P and the kids gave me some fat needles and a book with patterns. I am planning to cut some worn-out jeans and t-shirts into strips and try my hand at rag knitting. But, that may be in a few months. I still have to keep the house clean and school the kids!
If you like knitting, check out the Knitty website. I love their patterns! I also like to catch Knitty Gritty on DIY network when I get the chance.
More later. C has been on the Nintendo way too long. Time to get him to something vaguely constructive.

No comments: