Saturday, March 31, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday–March 30, 2012

OK, so it’s Saturday, but let’s not get picky, OK?

1. My mother-in-law is visiting for the next ten days!  The kids have their Spring Break next week (from homeschooling – the public school is only off Friday and Monday) so they’ll have lots of Grandma time.

2. After balmy temperatures and the need for air conditioning last week, we’ve had cold and rain for the last couple of days.  Not only do the weather changes give me headaches, but it’s incredibly dreary out!  Thankfully, though, my current medication regimen is keeping my mood pretty stable these days even when it’s dreary out.  I’m also trying to stay pretty active on my non-headache days by doing things like walking to the shop instead of driving.

3. I got in a psychotic organizing mood early in the week and cleaned out some little shelves in the kitchen.  I’ve got my eye on a bookcase in the dining area as well as the area where we keep our cell phones and chargers.  When I’m headache-free for a few hours, those shelves are in serious danger of cleanliness!

4. Last week, I got the white clothes washed, dried, folded, and even put away before they became a cat bed!!  Yes, I’m very proud of myself!!

5. The first three months of the year for The Knitting Nest have been very successful!  Not every day is busy, but we’re getting a steady flow of customers and we’re able to purchase new yarns and other inventory regularly.  I have some weeks where I get to be at the shop almost every day and other weeks where I’m hardly there at all, but I love it when I’m there and PWM and I both enjoy owning our own business.

6. One of my new favorite authors is Joshilyn Jackson.  I first read Between, Georgia a year or two ago and really enjoyed it.  A couple of months ago, though, I read A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty and decided that I really wanted to read her other books.  A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty had a more complex plot and deeper characters than I remembered from Between, Georgia.  I listened to both The Girl Who Stopped Swimming and Backseat Saints on audio recorded by the author and was impressed by the writing, but also by the performance.  It turns out that the author has some theater background and is very good at vocalizing characters.  I was more than a bit concerned that I would have a hard time differentiating characters in the two books because they were read by the same person, but she did an excellent job of voicing the characters.  I haven’t yet read gods in Alabama, but I see that the local library has it.  I’ll be checking it out tomorrow.

7. Wild Man is playing bass guitar with the adult worship team at church tomorrow.  It really is amazing to see how much of an adult he is becoming!  He did an excellent job at practice (I’m told) and has been continuing to work on his music throughout the week.  Wow!

What’s going on in your corner of the world?  Check out 7 Quick Takes Friday to see what others have been up to!

 

No comments: