Thursday, March 08, 2007

"Just a Cold"

When I was in practice, I saw lots of people (especially in the winter) with viral upper respiratory infections - i.e. "colds". I tried really hard, though, not to use the term "just a cold" because I wanted to validate their symptoms and not act as if they weren't really sick. Unfortunately, a number of people believed that they needed an antibiotic if they were "really" sick. I had to do a lot of teaching to convince people that a virus can make you just as sick, if not more so, than a bacteria. I also had to work to help them understand that it is quite uncommon to have an upper respiratory infection that is caused primarily by bacteria - usually, the virus causes the first illness and the bacteria come in and cause a secondary infection.

For the last two days, I have been able to really sympathize with how sick one can be with "just a cold". I started out with a sore throat, but progressed yesterday to fever, chills, post-nasal drip, muscle pain, and overall "yuckiness". I started feeling some better yesterday after the fever broke. Right now, I have a terrible sore throat with bilateral ear pain and swollen and tender lymph nodes. This is more than you wanted to know, I'm sure. The point is that I was reminded in a big way yesterday just how sick one can get from a "cold". Unfortunately, when the kids had this, they were sick for two weeks. I'm praying for a shorter course.

One of the funniest things that happened when the kids were sick was when I was on the phone with the doctor's office. Both kids had started wheezing, so I called the doctor's office to see about getting an albuterol inhaler for them. While I was talking to the nurse, both kids started saying very loudly in the background that they needed to go see the doctor. I got them to be quiet until I was done on the phone, but then turned to them and said, "And what do you think I am?" Their answer was that they wanted to see a "real" doctor because they were still soooo sick. Well, they are better now - all without a visit to the "real" doctor!

This was supposed to be our last week on Africa, but we haven't gotten nearly as much done as I wanted with everyone being sick, etc. But, we are starting Core 6 on Monday. We need to move on! I am going to get the everything organized today and tomorrow. I'm hoping my throat will be better on Monday so I can read. We are using The Story of the World for our history "spine" and I got the book on CD (unabridged), so I can have us listen to that. In any case, I'm looking forward to the change. We can pick up modern history of Africa as we do current events this year - I'll just make sure to have them do some current events reading about some of the countries that are in crisis. We have been reading a good book about three ancient African kingdoms, but I see that those will be covered in Core 6 this year (Core 6 is World History).

The kids aren't up yet. L asked me to get The Magic Flute from Netflix after we watched Amadeus. We started watching it, but only got through about 30 minutes (and I was working in the kitchen, so I couldn't see the subtitles). I think we're going to watch that today and I'll have the kids play some educational games. I also got Cry Freedom, but I don't think I'll try to get the kids to watch it today. It might hold L's attention, but I'm pretty sure that C will get bored. I'd like to get more information about apartheid "under our belts" before we try a movie like that otherwise, we'd never get to watch the movie - I'd just be answering background questions for them.

I'm knitting a little jacket and socks for our neighbor's new baby. I'm having a great time with it, and it is moving along quickly. It's very good for days like today when I'll be mostly sitting around.

No comments: