Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Our Anniversary

What a weekend! I had an awful headache Saturday night and didn't sleep much, but I did go to L's Sunday afternoon dance recital and took C and one of L's other friends. The Sunday show was also just wonderful. I thought that L's classes did even better than Saturday night (perhaps because they weren't so tired from a whole day of practice!). During Saturday afternoon's rehearsals, the dance teachers were talking to the girls in a completely different language than I am used to. They used ballet words that were foreign to me. They no longer talked to the girls as "little girls". They are older girls who can hear that "this is wrong and this is how to change." The teachers are never harsh (one thing I like about this studio), but L and her friends are now old enough to be with the teachers who are very matter of fact and don't treat the girls as babies. What a change from a few years ago. The biggest change is in their maturity. The girls can hear correction without hearing condemnation. They are physically mature - they can dance 4:30 minutes (yes, it leaves them exhausted, but they can do it).

Yesterday, we put on some of the tapes of previous dance recitals. The first one was from 2001 - L's and her friends first recital with this studio. They were 5 and 6 years old, respectively. What babies they were!! But, how precious! Sometimes I want to go back to that age again. But, I love to see what my daughter is becoming. I want to stay right here and now. I want to enjoy her company and watch her grow and blossom into a beautiful young lady.

Today is my and P's fourteenth wedding anniversary. It's really hard to believe. I feels like it was yesterday sometimes, but forever sometimes. I can't even imagine my life without him anymore. We don't have any specific plans - I'll get a raging migraine if we do! Hopefully, we can go out to eat tonight.

I received verbal confirmation from my disability insurance company that my benefits start this month. This is good news. We may be able to go ahead and get into the smaller house and leave this house empty with the hope that it may sell more easily without use living here. It will also be easier on my head to not have to worry about keeping the house clean for showing - that is such an annoyance. In any case, the benefits certainly make life easier since I can't help with bringing in income.

We aren't doing any school because all the school books are packed. The kids and I are reading and watching some movies on rainy days (like today). Hopefully, we can swim tomorrow. In any case, I'm enjoying the relaxation of summer. I haven't gotten to do this since college.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 14 years!!!! Time does fly by fast when you're having fun! C & I were just saying that we've known each other for 10 years now & it doesn't feel like that long! I suppose that's a good thing though! And glad to hear that the benefits will be coming through (assuming they will hold to their verbal confirmation)! It will certainly make life easier it sounds like. Enjoy the summer break! Everybody needs that every now and then! You can get serious and settle back down into school in the fall. In the meantime, I'm sure there are all sorts of fun summer activities you'll be able to do. I found the Magic School Bus books, DVDs, and PC games and just LOVE them. I'm plannning to take E on a bug hunt in the backyard (with a veggie garden and flowers there are many bugs to choose from), look at them under microscope, do bug puzzles, read his Magic School Bus (MSB) bug books, and watch the MSB bug DVD. We're even going to make Oreo pudding/dirt cups with the gummy worms (I'm hoping this will maybe motivate him to eat pudding). I've got several activities planned (no specific days though) and we're just going to go with the flow----I love being able to do that! I've been spoiled by staying at home with E that I don't think I'll want to go back to work while he's here at home. I'm having too much fun!