Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Great White North - really?

It got to 55 degrees today - in February! We've had a 3 day warm spurt so most of the snow is melted, and what isn't melted gets icy on the top in the morning. I wouldn't object so much if it were actually spring. As it is, the weather forecast calls for cooling and we will have lows in the single digits again by Tuesday. Tonight, we are forecast to have rain - February!!

My CPAP is still requiring some adjustment. P woke me up this morning because I had taken it off and I wasn't breathing well. Last night, I spent about 30 minutes adjusting everything and then couldn't sleep for an hour (despite being really tired to begin with). If I can't get things working the way that I want by next week, I'm going to ask about a mask.

My kids are still recovering. L had a high fever last night, but seems to be improved today. She still has a really bad sore throat (not surprising, given the redness and rawness of her throat). C has been doing a bunch of coughing today. L has missed 2 days of art class. She isn't too worried because she can always go in after school to finish projects. I hope that she improves enough tonight so that she can finish her science fair project by Friday afternoon - we set up on Friday night and the fair is on Saturday.

One of the most exciting things that is happening is that Core 6 from Sonlight comes tomorrow or Friday. We have less than a month left to finish Core 5 (Eastern Hemisphere with an emphasis on the least evangelized cultures), and we're excited to see what we will be studying in Core 6. The Core includes Bible/history/geography/social sciences. We got the new science book in the mail today. We are going to use Apologia's Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day (referring to the days of Creation). The science book encourages the use of notebooking - recording whatever one learns in a notebook. The kids haven't been doing much notebooking, but L appears to be interested in it. It will be a little more challenging with C because of his dyslexia, but I think we can make it work. I'm hoping we can use notebooking with all of our subjects because it sounds like a great way to synthesize what they have learned.

No comments: